NAIROBI HOTEL SIEGE FINALLY ENDS WITH ALL ATTACKER’S DEAD
A deadly siege by suspected militants in Nairobi has ended after all the attackers were “eliminated”, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has said.
Gunmen attacked a compound in the Westlands district of Kenya’s capital on Tuesday, killing at least 14 people.
Some 50 people are still missing, Kenya’s Red Cross has said.
The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack on the complex, which houses the luxury DusitD2 hotel.
It is not clear how many attackers there were, but Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinnet told AFP news agency that “five terrorists” had been involved.
Two people believed to be linked to Tuesday’s siege were arrested following raids on properties on Wednesday, AFP reported.
Confirming an end to the security operation at Dusit during a televised address, Mr Kenyatta said that 14 people had been reported killed and many more were injured, but that 700 others were safely evacuated.
He added that “every person that was involved in the funding, planning and execution of this heinous act” would be “relentlessly” pursued.
After 19 hours of terror, gunfire, bloodshed and inevitable confusion, the siege at an upmarket hotel and business complex in the hills west of Nairobi’s central business district ended abruptly on Wednesday morning.
Throughout the night, cowering groups of civilians – many had spent hours hiding in their offices or in bathrooms – were escorted to safety by security forces amid sporadic bursts of gunfire and the boom of explosions that continued well beyond dawn.