Advertisements
Breaking News

#REVOLUTIONNOW# COURT ORDERS RELEASE OF SOWORE

A Federal High Court has ordered the release of the convener of the #RevolutionNow protest, Omoyele Sowore.

Justice Taiwo Taiwo ordered his release after hearing arguments from both the prosecuting and defence counsels on Tuesday.

Deji Adeyanju and other supporters arriving at the Federal High Court for Sowore’s hearing in Abuja on Tuesday. Photos: Sodiq Adelakun/ChannelsTV

The Federal Government prosecutor, Godwin Agbadua, had argued that Sowore be detained in the “interest of justice and national security”.

According to Agbadua, the charges brought against him fall under capital offences, with respect to Section 161 of the Criminal Justice Act.

But Sowore’s lawyer, Femi Falana, argued that his client was charged with insulting the president, money laundering and conspiracy to commit treason, all of which he said are not capital offences.

After further arguments, Agbadua said the facts of his motion had been overtaken by events and therefore, asked to withdraw the application to further detain Sowore.

Following the withdrawal, the court struck out the application.

ALSO READ: 4TH REPUBLIC TO BE SCREENED AT AROUND NIGERIA.

Consequently, Falana asked the court to order the immediate release of his client.

According to him, there is no longer any competent court order for his further remand.

Thereafter, the Judge gave the ruling on the ground that there was no order still in court.

However,  he ordered Sowore to deposit all his travel documents with the court in the next 48 hours.

The judge also ordered that his lawyer, Mr Falana, must present him whenever the court needs him.

Mr Sowore, who is also the publisher of Sahara Reporters, had been arrested and detained for 45 days in the custody of the DSS after he was charged with seven counts bordering on treasonable felony and money laundering.

He was arrested on the eve of his planned protest across Nigeria, #RevolutionNow.

A day before the 45-day detention was to elapse, the Federal Government filed additional charges against him on Friday, September 20.

However, in Tuesday’s, all applications with the exception of the seven charges were withdrawn by both the prosecution and the defence counsels.

Advertisements
gn=125592&utm_term=">

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: