SOKOTO GOVERNMENT PLEADS THAT TELECOMS BLOCKADE BE SUSPENDED IN THE STATE.

The blockade had been imposed in September as part of efforts to clampdown on bandits operating in the North-West.

A similar blockade is in effect in parts of Zamfara and Kaduna states.

But after “an enlarged security council meeting on the fallout of bandits attack on Goronyo market which claimed the lives of 43 people last week”, the Sokoto State Government said it was necessary to review the blockade.

“According to Gov. (Aminu) Tambuwal, the call for the rescinding of the blockade became necessary in view of concerns expressed by security outfits in the state that the outage was affecting the smooth conduct of their works,” a statement signed by Tambuwal’s spokesperson, Muhammad Bello, said.

“He said the state government has already forwarded a letter to the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy to review the internet blockade.”

The statement said Tambuwal disclosed the state’s decision when he received, on Saturday, the North-East Governors Forum (NEGF) represented by Governors of Borno and Gombe state, Prof. Babagana Aymara Zulum and Alhaji Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya respectively.

The North-East Governors were paying a condolence visit to the state over the recent bandit attacks in the state.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.